Case Study – Helping a global manufacturer cope with a sudden loss of IT resources
In 2010, the Australian operation of global steel fabrication manufacturer Austral Monsoon, urgently needed the help of an IT company. Austral Monsoon’s IT operations had been managed by an in-house IT Manager, who left the role suddenly having been diagnosed with a terminal illness.
With in-house IT support no longer available, Austral Monsoon needed a solution to quickly get abreast of their IT systems and provide support.
With Sydney-wide IT services available, Centrix were chosen to assist Austral Monsoon over 3 other providers and immediately stepped in to monitor the current IT environment, provide helpdesk support and onsite technical staff nationwide.
Because there was no documentation of the network or computing systems the Centrix completed a full audit of Austral Monsoon’s IT systems which identified the following issues:
- A lack of processes for dealing with IT issues
- No backups were being conducted
- A PC based firewall solution to provide a network was high risk and prone to issues around stability, performance and management
- Issues with internet domain ownership
- Onsite data storage systems were insufficient and required upgrading
- Persistent email issues
- Workstations and desktops were ageing and require upgrading
Centrix presented a report with recommendations as a result of the audit and implemented the following solutions over an 18 month period:
- Functioning IT processes and procedures
- Effective backup solution
- Consolidation and reassignment of domain ownership
- Implementation of a national managed wide area network
- Centralised email platforms to a single provider with Microsoft Office 365
- Migrating of core network servers to a suitable data centre
- Managed all software licensing to ensure compliance
- Provided a secure and reliable remote access solution
- Standardised local infrastructure including servers across Australia, UK and the USA
- Modernised workstations and notebooks in a staged fashion
Centrix stepped in and immediately ensured that Austral Monsoon had a stable IT systems and responsive support. Over the 18 months, Centrix upgraded Austral Monsoon’s systems in a methodical and sustainable fashion, with no business disruption or downtime.
Austral Monsoon, now have a scalable, robust and secure IT platform, managed by Centrix but owned and controlled ultimately by them.
What the client says:
“We have implemented a significant change from engaging Centrix. Centrix provided a snapshot of our existing set up and proposed alternatives.
Our migration to Office 365 has settled a large range of email issues we were experiencing. The massive changes we have implemented have given us a level of comfort in terms of reliability and security.
We would recommend Centrix to others. We found them easy to deal with, able to talk in laymen’s terms and offer a desirable solution. We selected Centrix over 3 other providers as they gave us the most confidence that they could satisfy our needs.”
Paul Sleeman, AM Group – Group Financial Controller